Friday, December 08, 2006

Remember Pearl Harbor

View of Pearl Harbor from my Parent's Home in Aiea, Hawaii.
I subscribe to a real-time stock service. The Daily Worden Report is part of this service. I'd like to share yesterday's Worden Report with you:

"Remember Pearl Harbor"

A year ago the following paragraph appeared in The Worden Report. A lot of people seemed to enjoy it, so I decided to reprint it today. Of course, now Pearl Harbor was sixty-five years ago, and it is five years since 9/11.

Sixty-four years ago today (except then it was a Sunday) I was sitting in the Granada movie theater in my home town in Wisconsin, when the lights went on and the manager appeared on the stage in front of the silver screen. He announced that on that morning the Japanese had invaded Pearl Harbor. About the same number of people died there as died in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. The difference is that four years later, in 1945, we knew a lot more about who we were and what we were proud of than we do now, once again four years later, in 2005. -DW

No comments: